12/15/2019

I’m worried for this planet - but I’m powerless


I’m not a rich girl. I can’t afford an electric car for my household, or solar panels on my house, or a zero-carbon boat and long hours of train journey if I want to visit my family from England, who live in Hungary.
Luckily, the low-cost airline will take me home, so I don’t have to miss out.



There are more than a hundred people on that flight, so it’s not that harmful for the environment if you divide the emissions with the amount of people that fly on it.
I’m sure there are many other people living this way.
There are some amazing opportunities to travel, read (obviously, reading on devices is better for the environment, than on real paper, but I do buy physical books), study, get informed, find your way (Google maps/navigation systems).
If only there were incentives, so that the most environmentally friendly things would become cheaper!
But no, they tend to be more expensive. Organic food, as well as gadgets, cars or houses that are using better energy. I don’t mean books: digital books tend to be cheaper.
And of course, building new houses is harmful for the environment too, especially in Brazil and India, where they burn forests to build houses - however, I think in other countries the forests were gone for way longer and that’s the only reason we don’t pay attention, like in Europe.
We need agricultural land, but I know even that is not natural enough to support endangered species.



Also, I tend to feel that healthier food is better for the environment at the same time.
But I like meat, chocolate, coffee…
If I don’t eat what I like, how do I enjoy my life?

I’m trying to get my thoughts together about what would be best for this planet.
My friend said if all insects die, we all die. But if humans go extinct, it’s actually good for the environment and other species!
So, what can we do to make ourselves useful and not harmful?

No comments: